Reflection: “The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas”

I think feature films can add a lot to the understanding of the Holocaust. For my final project I will actually cover this topic and will be analyzing three films other films about the Holocaust, “Schindlers List,” “The Pianist,” and “Life is Good.” “The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas” is an interesting addition to this discussion.  Done in the right way, a film about the Holocaust can make a connection for the viewer. Instead of it being words on a page or black and white photos, a movie can create a realistic image of the Holocaust if done in the right manner. I would say that a film like “The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas” was a good representation. This film obviously had a very emotional ending and succeeded in humanizing the victims. One issue that I see with some Holocaust films is the same issue raised in Young’s lecture. Some Holocaust movies need to be careful not to just boil down Jewish identity only to that of being victims, or having the Holocaust being boiled down to just the number 6 million. Obviously, like we have learned in this class, the Holocaust was so much more than just that.